Mincio Park Experience
Between Garda lake and Po river, the European Destination of Excellence “Valli del Mincio” is a charming internal wetland, the largest freshwater in Italy. It embraces Mantua – UNESCO town -, its art treasures and the symbols of a past marked by very important wars for the italian history, and a variety of natural environments amazing shaped by the river Mincio. Mantova is also “Italian Capital of Culture 2016”.
“Valli del Mincio” is the green heart of Mincio Park, a protected area in Oriental side of Lombardy. You can discover this countryside through many tourist itineraries concerning the cycling tourism, the river sailing, canoeing, the wine-and-food tradition, the military history and the biodiversity: all itineraries are described at www.terredelmincio.it, the tourist website of Mincio Park, where you can also find informations about territories, itineraries, maps, hotels, restaurants, events and travel proposals.
The kitchen “of the prince and the people” offers local traditional dishes: risotto with saltarei (fresh water shrimps), pumpkin ravioli and meat agnoli, riso alla pilota (sausage risotto) and bigoi con le sardele (pasta with sardines)…
In the Valley season by season:
– Spring: everything turns colored, the herons build nests, the peregrine falcon dances his love parade and we can see storks realeases in Bertone park.
– Summer: the lotus flowers blooms, sidewalk artists paint the churchyard at feast of August 15 in Grazie village, readers meet their favourite writers at Literature Festival in Mantua in the second week of september .
– Autumn: trekking, canoe, bike but then … it’s harvest time: you can taste the new wine!
– Winter: a floating Nativity scene on the river in Rivalta village
– All year : guided tours and then … let’s sit down at the table to taste the best from the Valleys!