We have created a QR Code Discovery Tour in the city. At first, the idea was to offer individual visitors the possibility of discovering Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve in a complete interactive and ludic manner.
A sign is fixed in front of several sites and bear one or two QR Codes which can be scanned with a smartphone or tablet. The main points of interest in the municipal territory are put in evidence and presented in an interactive and ludic way notably thanks to brief audio descriptions, photos and video excerpts. Rather than a recommended itinerary, a general map indicating the points of interest enable visitors to select the places of their choice and therefore create a personalized route. The visitor can easily get from one point to another thanks to the map and an itinerary function working with the geo-localization system.
Overall the aim is to reinforce our image of a modern, university and dynamic town by using new technologies.
Criteria 1: SUSTAINABILITY EFFECTS
Signs are solidly placed on the wall, on a stake or a rock in order to maintain visibility and conserve the scenery and environment, i.e. : no sign is fixed on trees.
Ecological concepts were used in different ways :
- Name of places were printed on stickers which can be replaced if need to be so that the actual signs do not have to be replaced.
- The folder with the route map is printed on recycled paper
The route encourages the mobility of pedestrians and cyclists in the entire town, also thanks to the realization of cycle paths going on and especially since the city had received the label “Ville Cyclable” (Cycling city) two years ago wich help the city in this project.
Criteria 2 : INSPIRING AND EXEMPLARY
- 28 signs indicating the name of the place, logos and one or two QR Codes
- A web interface in 3 languages (French, Dutch and English) contain an audio description, photos, videos, further information and a ludic part
A sign of 20 x 20 cm at each point of interest is fixed at a height of 1m50. On each sign the name of the place and a QR Code sends you to the web interface. These interfaces offer visitors a content that can be easily updated.
The information can be easily used and understood by all everyone. It is aimed at persons looking for basic, or more complete details, whether it is about the town in general or a particular place. It is visible to PMR thanks to the height of the signs, for sight impaired persons by audio description, and for families, who will be able to take advantage of the educational aspect to be developed in 2016. The content is visible in an amenable way, this means adaptable to different tools and platforms on the web.
In addition, the Office du Tourisme-Inforville can provide visitors, who are not equipped with mobile devices, with two tablets for rent. The interface does not necessitate downloading a specific application of the route, nor any charge (the classic QR Code reader application, free of charge, or already installed on the mobile). All the information is available on our website so it can be viewed on site, or at home.
In a not too distant future, the touristic areas in the town will enable visitors free access to WIFI.
Criteria 3 : IMPACT ON BEHAVIOR OF TOURISTS AND COMMUNITY
- A possibility to visit Louvain-la-Neuve as an individual visitor. Indeed, there wasn’t any offer for individual publics, but only for groups of at least 15 persons.
- A discovery of the town at one’s own rhythm.
- Increased circulation around the town thanks to the repartition of the signs.
A better flow of tourists.
- Thanks to our selection of places of interest, the visitor who did not necessarily previously see any interest to visit Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve, find that there is a lot to be seen in the town.
- Spark awareness of the younger generation on cultural and touristic aspects of the town thanks to the use of new technologies.
- Enables to develop the independence of the tourists.
Expected impact for the town :
- Increase the frequency of enquiries at the Office du Tourisme-Inforville whilst at the same time increase sales in the souvenir shop.
- Increase the use of the frequency of the website www.tourisme-olln.be
- Increase the attractiveness of the University.
- Increase the impact on local economy.